Saturday, January 19, 2013

Cover Style: Hand Drawn Covers

Look at the book I checked out from Warwick Public Library today!

I've heard of/thought of having kids design new book covers, but I worried it would hurt the circulation of the book.  Although I often disagree with the way publishers market books, I recognize that kids are attracted to current-looking covers.


However, when this book appeared in my stack of holds, I thought: Hmmm, which book is that?  Did I place a hold on some diary book?  I didn't immediately notice that the cover was designed by a kid, and I think that's because of a trend started by Diary of a Wimpy Kid.  The series' popularity has inspired lots of diary books, as well as lots of books with stick figures and handwritten titles.



Xemilyx's handdrawn-covers book montage

Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Tales from a Not-So-Popular Party Girl
The Popularity Papers: Research for the Social Improvement and General Betterment of Lydia Goldblatt & Julie Graham-Chang
My Life as a Stuntboy
Big Nate: In a Class by Himself
The Loser List
Wonder
I Funny: A Middle School Story
Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie
Just Grace
Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel
Artsy-Fartsy


Xemilyx's favorite books »

So this is the moment!  If ever we were going to have kids draw new covers for books, we should do it now, when hand-drawn art is associated with the most popular childrens books in the library. 


No comments:

Post a Comment