Thursday, March 25, 2010

Teen Space Distractions: Modern Furniture for Children

My library is full of these chairs.


Before I started researching furniture, I had no idea that these were examples of the Eames chair, a modern style of chair with a certain cachet. Of course, our chairs are badly scratched up, and I have never found them all that comfortable. You can't sit on the edge of them. It defies physics. You have to slide all the way into their contours.

Anyway, now I know that, along with Saarinen tulip tables
and Panton S chairs,these Eames chairs are iconic examples of modern furniture. And I'm starting to understand that the other teen furniture I so recently naysayed, like the mutant hand chair, are also examples of modern furniture, so clearly that's an aesthetic associated with young people.

So I thought I was making progress in choosing furniture for the teen area, because I had some of the vocab of furniture styles down, and then I got completely distracted because do you have any idea how many furniture sites for little hipster kids exist on the world wide web? Look at this!



I want to hate, but I find the micro-modern furniture adorable. Thank goodness my brother doesn't read my blog. He would definitely give me a speech about this. (But it's not for me. It's for the children!)

Anyway, I am redesigning the teen area, not the children's area. But if anyone out there is doing a DIY redesign of their kids area and doesn't want to spend lots of money on the boring furniture in library supply catalogs, I suggest window shopping at Spacify kids furniture, Plushpod, Offi, Kids Modern, and Modern Seed. And then eyeballing the knockoffs at Target.

What? All our computer chairs are from Target. Although I fear we may live to regret that one.

3 comments:

  1. hi really good blog.Children need lots of exciting stimulation, and their room should be a place where they can both play and learn.

    Also,Have a look at what is available before you buy anything to ensure that you purchase furniture which matches your requirements as well as your tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written and designed blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Blog! Thank you so much for sharing this one really well defined all peaceful info regarding Hotels,I Really like it,Love its - second hand office furniture Essex

    ReplyDelete